Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gong Hay Fat Choy!!

Gong Hay Fat Choy!!
Happy Lunar New Year!!
Happy Chinese New Year!!

2011. The year of the rabbit. 

I love Chinese New Year. Not only because I get the red envelopes with money (lai see/um pow), but because of all the wonderful family gatherings, the family traditions, and beautiful decorations. 

It's a tradition that we clean the house from top to bottom, so we started at the middle of January. It's good to have a clean house to start the new year. Since Chinese New Year landed on Thursday this year (we had work), my mom wanted to celebrate it the Saturday before (last Saturday). We woke up at 5:30 in the morning and cooked the special soup we make every Chinese New Year and the fixings to go into the lettuce wraps. These two dishes have A LOT of ingredients so it wasn't easy. At 9:00, we head to the restaurant to pick up chicken, pork, and noodles. We pray to the gods and ancestors and ate at around 1:30 p.m. (we were starving by then, but I wasn't gonna eat till we were done with our duties). 

The next day, we went to my uncle's house to celebrate with my mom's side of the family. There was soooo much food (as usual) and I was stuffed.

Wednesday night (the actual start to CNY), we went to my grandma's house to celebrate with my dad's side. Of course, more food and lai see. 

So Chinese New Year consists of cleaning, eating, praying, lai see/um pow, eating, family, eating, and more eating. 

May your year be filled with prosperity, happiness, and good health for you and your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment